Wednesday, July 28

Buggered I am!

Yesterday was my sister's birthday, I had to make dinner and her birthday cake. We went shopping at knox and ordered me some new frameless glasses, then went to the new paediatrician - Dr C.
I think I'm a bit happier with Dr C. He seems a lot more confident in dealing with CP kids. He wasn't alarmed by any of the things that Dr L was when we went on Thursday last week. Dr L was saying that her deterioration was really quite concerning and that she has developed quite a degree of spacticity since he last saw her - I don't agree with him, but then I see her every day so might not notice as much. Dr L was concerned about her weight too, saying she was getting too many calories. Dr C wasn't worried about either, and I think it might be because he has a lot more experience with CP. Dr L by his own admission says he doesn't have much experience with it, so I imagine that as he sees a CP kid, it is alarming to him. I understand where Dr L is coming from, I just don't agree with him. So Dr C thinks that her weight, even though she is in the 75th percentile, isnt too much at this stage - no she isnt crawling around, but she isn't overweight either. Her length, that's another story! She is in the 99th percentile for length, bloody tall - but there isn't anything at all I can do about her height! Dr C wasn't concerned about her spasticity either, he didn't mention it, he just asked which physio we'll be seeing when we move, and we don't know that yet. Dr C wants us to go ahead and order Holly's blood tests for the geneticist. They don't *think* its a genetic thing, but they are just going to check it out. Its actually to see if she has the blood clotting gene. The simplest way to describe what happened to Holly is to say that she sort of had a sort of stroke in the womb - that isn't technically correct, technically her carotid artery was severed and blocked by her skull, but you can say that its a stroke cause usually if there any sort of blockage in the carotid artery, its a stroke. But, the long and short of it is that they want to just rule out that she doesn't have the blood clotting gene because it is usually blood clots that cause strokes - follow my logic? I don't know if I've explained it logically! Anyway, Dr C has ordered the blood tests for that. He's also given us the go ahead to have her 4 month immunisations done. He wants us to get them done in the next week or so while she is well, while she doesn't have a UTI and her teeth aren't coming through or anything.
Gotta tell you about this poo she did today. She'd been a little disgruntled all day and pretty clingy. A friend came over with her twins today and I just couldn't out Holly down for three minutes without her crying - very annoying. Anyway, I fed her her 4pm feed and she was doing little bottom burbs, didn't think much of it. Towards the end of the bottle she was squirming and crying and just yucky, so I stopped feeding her and thought I'd go and change her bum. OMG. I had her in a little white hand knitted jumper after she spewed on the jumper she was wearing earlier in the day. Well, the little white jumper that was over the top of a long sleeve top and a singlet - the jumper had poo on it. The poo managed to get through the singlet, through the long sleeve top and onto the knitted top! It was a poonamu! It was all down her legs, on her tracksuit pants - everywhere! I just stripped her off and put her straight in the bath. She settled down pretty quickly after that and had a great afternoon nap! I've just finished washing everything - what a mess!
Off to the counsellor and to hydrotherapy tomorrow. Should be good, hopefully I'll have some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment